Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC) Scholarship educates, trains, and equips young men and women commissioned officers for the Navy’s unrestricted line, Marine Corps and Nurse Corps. There are no qualms in stating that a strong navy acts as a potential deterrent to conflict and preserves the freedom of the seas. NROTC scholarship program encourages all young candidates and applicants to prepare for management and leadership positions.
Since the NROTC award is highly competitive and prestigious, successful candidates receive a full tuition waiver, stipend, education fee, etc. Upon successful completion of the program, the young cadets (midshipmen) are commissioned as officers in the unrestricted line Naval Reserve or Marine Corps Reserve. NROTC program aids in inculcating the highest ideals of loyalty, duty, and integrity with courage and commitment to its core.
Applying for NROTC Scholarship
The requirements for applying for the NROTC scholarship include the following:
- US citizenship / Naturalized U.S citizen or in process of becoming a US citizen. The following salient points must be kept in view at the time of applying for the NROTC scholarship:
- The successful candidate must acquire US citizenship during the first academic year after receipt of the scholarship
- Benefits will be not been given to students with delays in obtaining US citizenship
- Dual citizenships may apply and must surrender the passport of the parent country for continuation in the program
- 17 to 23 years of age with a cut-off date of 1 September of the respective year of starting college
- Prior military service may be eligible as an adjustment of time (Maximum 36 months)
- No criminal record of offenses (Military / civilian/federal convictions)
- High school equivalency certificate by 1 August of starting the year
- No moral obligations or personal convictions
- Medically fit as per Navy / Marine Corp standards
- No body piercing or tattoos which violate Navy or Marine Corp policy
Marine Option NROTC Scholarship / Marines NROTC Scholarship
The requirements for the Marine option NROTC scholarship are as follows:
- High school students with less than 30 college credits completed before graduation
- Medical fitness (height/weight) as per Marine Corp standards
- Applying and securing admission to NROTC institution during the selection process
- Students are bound to select/apply for only one of the three programs i.e. Navy, Marine, or Nurse Corps
- Active duty navy applicants are barred/ineligible to apply for the NROTC program. Only active members of other branches may apply after conditional release. Applicants must only ship to boot camp upon receipt of notification of selection.
NROTC Scholarship Notification 2022
The NROTC scholarship application is very long requiring extensive hours for filling it. Every candidate is required to be selected for an academic program which is as per three (03) tiers (Navy, Marine, or Nurse Corps). Applicants must ensure that the application is complete in all terms and forwarded before 15 February for evaluation by the selection board.
The application period for the year 2022 is closed and applications will be open from 1 April 2022 to 31 January 2023.
Requirements for NROTC Scholarship
NROTC scholarship system is online-based. Steps for registration for the NROTC scholarship include:
- Registration for a NETFOCUS gateway using personal information and email id
- Uploading information, security image, etc. to be used if the password is forgotten
- NRSA link contains details on security number, birth date, etc.
- The application submission cycle starts 18 months before starting of the school year
The requirements of the NROTC scholarship include:
- Duly filled scholarship application form consisting of name, address, email, citizenship, language proficiency, race)
- References with names, mailing addresses, email, etc. (School administrator, Math/Science/English teacher and Coach/counselor, employer)
- Education (School detail, class size, etc.)
- Family details
- Military career (if applicable)
- Employment (Volunteer / Work history)
- Activities (Athletic / non-athletic, publications, organizations, etc.)
- SAT/ACT scores (1100 combined for Navy and Nurse application or high school GPA of 2.75) or (1000 combined for Marine application). Navy and Nurse applicants must meet the minimum requirements of the scores
- NROTC interests (college of choice/listing of NROTC units and associated schools)
- Essays of 250-500 words (Own statement that attempts to discuss and resolve an issue)
- Marine Option applicant must conduct a physical fitness test with the recruiter
- Additional requirements for the applicants also include:
- Applicant Fitness Assessment
- Statement of understanding, debarment statement, drug statement, etc.
- Applicants (Navy/Nurse ) are required to have their interview by a staff officer