After Studying

What to Do After Studying in the U.S.: Jobs, Top Companies, Visa Extension, Green Card

International students who want to become US citizens through work or who want to stay in the country after studying in the US can:

There are a lot of international students in the United States, and when they finish school, they can choose several ways to stay there. A Student Visa for the USA (F1-type) lets you stay in the country for 60 days after you graduate, so it’s important to have a plan well in advance.

Going to college in the US- Masters (if you have completed your UG studies in the USA)
Looking into research possibilities in the United States
Optional Training in the Real World
H1-B visa (non-immigrant visa).
In the US, higher education

In the United States, you can get degrees like master’s and doctorates in higher education. The USA has some of the best universities in the world and a wide range of degrees and specializations to choose from. There are a lot of things to think about before deciding this. One important thing is having enough money to pay for a study in the United States.

Scholarships to Study in the US

In a lot of ways, the US is the leader in technology and research. Students at universities like MIT can join research projects or start their own to earn academic credit and money. Often, the work is published, leads to patent applications, or helps start-up companies with big plans. There are more than 350 research labs at universities, such as UCLA. Yale University lets people work in fields like studying black holes, neuroscience, and researching climate change. Even as an undergrad, you can go to a bachelor’s that involves research.

F-1 visa holders can work off-campus through CPT, which stands for “Curricular Practical Training.” The International Student Help Desk at the institute and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service must both give their permission. There are financial benefits to working under CPT.

CPT Rules for F-1 Visa Holders

Get the CPT training that will lead to academic credit.
Must be in the US for at least a year to study.
Before you apply for CPT authorization, you should have a job offer in a relevant field.

After studying in the U.S., OPT (Optional Practical Training)

With OPT Extension, recent graduates can work in the US for up to a year after they finish school. OPT is different from CPT, which is practical training done while you are still in school. OPT can be done either before or after you finish your degree.

STEM-OPT Extension

Students who have taken STEM classes in the United States can choose the STEM-OPT extension. This lets students stay in the US and work for up to 24 months after they graduate.

International students should know that OPT only lets them do work experience for a total of one month. So, those who used their 12 months while getting their degree won’t be able to get an extension after they finish. But if you go to graduate school in the United States, you can get this extension again.

How to extend OPT after studying in the US?

To get an extension on their OPT, international students must do the following:

Having an F1 student visa
Your job must be in the same field as what you studied in the U.S.
OPT-Extension must be requested before the course is over.
To be considered for OPT, you must finish a certificate course at a US university.
You must get a recommendation from a DSO (Designated School Official).

To apply for OPT, you need to fill out Form I-20. The form is made by the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), which gets an application from your school.

To be eligible for the program, you must send work authorization forms to USCIS.
For an extension, you must find a job within 90 days of finishing the program.
If you are accepted into the program while you are still in school, you are only allowed to work 20 hours a week.

When to Apply for OPT-Extension after Studying in the US?

Send in your I-765 form or ask for OPT after you finish your course as early as 90 days before it’s over.
Send a request to SEVIS before you fill out a DSO application.
You have 30 days to send in the form after your DSO asks for OPT.
DHS has a planning tool for OPT after graduation that students can use to figure out when they need to apply to extend their OPT.
The I-765 form must be turned in within 60 days of finishing the course.
The F-1 visa grace period must be used to apply for an OPT Extension.

It takes about 80–120 days to get an OPT Extension. However, if there is more demand, the time frame may be extended.
With their OPT extension, international students in the US can work for well-known international groups. Some of these are the Red Cross, organizations on the official list from the State Department, the Asian and African Development Banks, the World Health Organization (WHO), the World Trade Organization, and others.

You can stay for 12 to 24 months if you get an OPT-Extension or STEM-Extension. Your employer may apply for H-1B status for you after you graduate. You can also apply for an H-1B visa or a green card instead of OPT, but doing either will give you the same chance to make important connections that can help you get sponsored in the future.

H-1B Visa after Studying in the USA

You can live and work in the US for up to six years if you have an H-1B visa. To be eligible for H-1B status, you need to show USCIS that your field of study and skilled work makes you the best person for the job in the company.

You can also switch from an F-1 student visa to an H-1B visa with the help of a US employer who sponsors you. In either case, the employer can file an employment-based PR after 5 years of working for the company. This makes the H-1B visa valid for more than six years. An H-1B visa must be reapplied for if a person changes jobs within the first six years.

International students can make a lot of money by working in the United States. MBA jobs in the US can pay up to $115,000 a year. In the same way, someone with MS can make up to $100,000 a year. MS There are many different kinds of jobs in the US, depending on what kind of degree you get.

Jobs after Studying USA

The US is a good place to look for work after studying there because it is home to some of the most well-known brands and industry giants.
Green Card after going to school in the US

Some people’s ultimate goal in the United States is to get a “green card.” International students have a better chance of getting a green card since they have been allowed to live legally in the US for a long time. A green card is your ticket to PR in the US. With a green card, you can work and get paid anywhere in the United States. There are four main ways to get a Green card in the United States. Having a family member who lives in the US, Sponsorship for employment, diversity of immigrants and refugees, and asylum seekers

After getting your degree in the US, you can apply for permanent residency through the employment sponsorship category. For that, you first need an H-1 B visa, which lets you work in the United States after you finish your degree. These are the people who are most likely to get a green card:
People who are very good at something in the arts, sciences, education, business, or sports.

Professors and teachers who are top-notch
Executives and managers from different countries will be
Professionals who have a license to work

After you finish your studies in the U.S., you’ll have an advantage when you look for a job. Employers all over the world want to hire people who have graduated from US universities. After studying in the USA, it’s also easy to go to college in any of the other places to study abroad. When you study in the United States, you can meet a wide range of people, improve your ability to work with people from different cultures, and look at problems from a global perspective.

About James G. Barr

I am an international student. I am a doctoral student and teaching assistant at a University in the United States. Aspiring students looking to make their educational dreams come true, we offer generous scholarships to help you reach your goals.

Check Also

Student Id

65 Sweet Deals and Discounts You Can Get With Your student ID

ContentsA little bit of everythingPrograms and technologyClothes, shoes, and other stuffDecorate your dorm décor.The news, …